6 Inspirational Yogis in Their 90s


By Jason Wachob
Mind Body Green


Think you're too old to start yoga? Think again. Whether you practice yoga or not, you'll definitely be inspired by these six incredible yogis over the age of 90!

Vera Paley: 91

Vera has been practicing for 50 years and teaching since 1983. She currently teaches yoga to Alzheimer patients in Florida and says, "I think I'm where I am because of what I do. Yoga is not just moving. It's breathing and daily meditation."

Bette Calman: 83

O.K., Bette is only 83-years-old, so she technically shouldn't be on this list... but I thought we'd let her slide since she can do peacock pose and still teaches 11 classes a week!

B.K.S Iyengar: 93

Last, but certainly not least, B.K.S. Iyengar, who is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world. Iyengar actually just turned 93 the other day and is filled with tongs of inspirational nuggets of wisdom. More on that here. 

Bernice Bates: 91

Bernice has been practicing and teaching since 1960! She says she'll never stop doing yoga and credits yoga for her health: "I think yoga is the best exercise there is. I've never had anything I had to go to the doctor for, except checkups. That should say something."

Tao Porchon-Lynch: 93

Tao has been practicing for over 70 years and teaching for 45, yet she says, "I'm still a yoga beginner. I'm still learning."

My Grandma, Elinor Wilhelm: 91

I might be partial here because this is my grandma, but she's on this list because she's the perfect example of why it's never too late to start yoga -- she just started last year at age 90! She practices every day and loves Cat/Cow pose.



You have read this article Exercise / Meditation / Old Age / Yoga with the title 6 Inspirational Yogis in Their 90s. You can bookmark this page URL http://chrisinha-belezaestilo.blogspot.com/2012/10/6-inspirational-yogis-in-their-90s.html. Thanks!

No comment for "6 Inspirational Yogis in Their 90s"

Post a Comment